I ordered a crap-load of tile samples from online shops to “live with” for a while. The samples cost $2.50 each but I figured a local tile shop wouldn’t be too happy with my taking all of their samples for six months to figure out which one I want to buy. At least this way, I can stare at them for months on end and not feel guilty. I figure once I narrow it down again, to a few samples, I can take them to the local shop to see if they have them or something similar and for what price. With all of the samples that I have ordered, the niece and I are planning to tile a table or two – at least one for the front porch, we think, then depending on how much tile is left after that, we may do another one for the deck or for inside the house. If we are good at it, we may open up an Etsy shop or something. (Don’t hold your breath on that one.)
Anyway, here are the finalists. Feel free to comment, email, call, scream into the night how awful something is. You know, let me know. I hope to at least have the happy hour crew over once the bathroom is functional to look at this stuff in person but with only the porch wicker loveseat over there, we would have to stand up the whole time and we like to sit when we are drinking – not sure about the rest of you. 🙂
So here are the finalists:
1. This is a 3/8 in. wide tile blend – with white glass tile (frosted and other) and stainless steel in varying lengths and shades.
2. This is carrara marble (or a copy) and gray tile blend
3. This is a white/clear/frosted/marble blend
4. Blue/green glass tile blend
5. Dark and light marble blend – I think it has bardiglio in the name
6. This is a blend of white/blue/gray. Not sure how much I really like the white tiles but if I could find a similar blend with clear and frosted white instead of sparkly white, I think I would snap it up.
7 & 8. The one on the left comes in different sizes and is a gray/white blend, glass, with frosted/matte/”clear” tiles. The one on the right is a gray/white marble blend, similar to Ann Sacks matchsticks but cheaper.
9. Carrara marble 1×2 sheet
10. Glass subway tile – 3×6 – not sure I love this particular color, but they come in all colors and I do like the glass tile and the size…
Well, I keep trying to crop and post the picture of that tile but can’t for some reason – it’s in the “testing area” photo – I will try to post a close up later.
The testing area:
I am also planning that one of these samples will be used around the fireplace. There is enough Caesarstone left from the counters to use for the hearth/floor part of the fireplace. The surround I am thinking needs to be marble-ish and maybe paint the mantle something other than white. The appliances have been ordered – not sure when there will be appliances in the house, or when the guys can find the wires that are allegedly in the walls for the appliances, but we are making progress nonetheless!